Stuffed Peas Patties
Every housewife has her own share of favourite recipes.
And these tasty patties have a special place in my heart.
As a newly-wed bride, I discovered that Green pea kachoris were frequently made at my in-laws’.Now I preferred these patties over kachoris; and so I started making this simple Gujrati fried recipe incredibly versatile.
Taught to me by my mother, I also learnt how to serve these ‘non-tikkis’ as a popular starter, as a traditional Gujrati farsaan item and even on days when you’d like to make a filling meal out of chaat by serving it for Ragada Patties!
And just like that, my in-laws too were hooked and started favouring my patties over the kachoris!
Try it out yourself and I won’t be surprised if your family falls in love with it too! You can even experiment and try a Jain version using bananas!
Prep Time: 40 min Cooking Time: 10 min Makes: 12 pcs
1 /2 kg potato (special potato for Patties) boiled and grated
1/2 tbsp corn flour
1/2 tbsp of lime juice
Salt to taste
For the Stuffing:
1 1/4 teacup green peas (mutter) (roughly crushed)
2 tsp oil
1 1/2 tsp chilli ginger paste
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1/8 tsp of citric acid
1/2 tbsp of thick poha
1/4 teacup coriander leaves
1/4 tea cup grated coconut
Salt to taste
corn flour + plain flour for rubbing
oil for deep frying
- Add 1/2 tbsp corn flour, lime juice and salt to the potato and mix well
- Divide it into 12 equal parts
- Heat 2 tsp of oil, add the green peas (mutter) and salt and sauté it for few minute
- Add sugar and again sauté it for a minute. Switch off the stove
- When it cools down add all the other ingredients for the stuffing
How to proceed:
- Make a small circle out of each portion of the potato
- Take 1 portion, rub it in the flour and flatten it on the palm
- Put a spoonful of stuffing mixture in the centre and make a ball
- Repeat steps 1-3 with the remaining portions
- Mix the corn flour and plain flour in a plate and rub the ball in the flour mixture
- Deep fry