Socialising these days is nothing short of a competition!
Every housewife has felt the pressure to put her best dish forth and garner maximum praise.
Which is why my Mexican Burrito Bowl recipe is perfect for your next potluck or kiddie birthday party!
Enjoy the best of the burrito without the fuss of having to wrap it up in a tortilla! Begin with Mexican Fried Rice layered with spicy refried beans, tangy salsa, a generous blanket of cheese and finally crushed nacho chips topped with chilled sour cream!
Now that sounds a crowd-winning one-dish meal, for sure!
Prep Time: 8 hrs (soaking the beans) & 3 hrs ( cooling the sour cream) Cooking Time: 45 min
Nachos chips ( readily available in market)
75 gms Cheese
1/2 tea cup rice ( soak in the water for 1 hour)
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
1/4 tea cup sweet corn ( optional) ( boiled)
2 tsp garlic ( finely chopped)
1 onion finely chopped
1/2 tea cup spring onion
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp chilli flacks
1 tbsp olive oil
Salt to taste
- Boil the rice and drain the water (the rice should not be sticky, all the grains should be separated)
- Heat the olive oil, add garlic and onion and sauté it until fragrant
- Add bell peppers, corn and sauté it again for a minute
- Add rice and mix well
- Add oregano, chilli flacks, Spring onion salt and mix well and heat for a while
Use the recipe given in tacos mexicano (Refried Beans) for the refried beans. You will only need half the quantity mentioned in that recipe.
4 tomato (deseeded and finely chopped )
1 onion finely chopped
4 clove garlic finely chopped
1/4 tea cup coriander leaves finely chopped
4 slice jalapeño finely chopped
4 olive finely chopped
1/2 tsp roasted cumin powder
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1 tbsp vinegar or lemon juice ( optional )
Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix all the ingredients for the salsa. If you want, you can churn it in the mixer once (Dont churn it too much else it will turn into a paste)
200 gm cream
1 1/2 tbsp of lemon juice
- Mix the cream and lemon juice and refrigerate it for 3 to 4 hour
How to proceed:
- Take a large microwave proof bowl
- Make a layer of Mexican fried rice
- Top it with refried beans.
- Add a layer of salsa
- Top it with grated cheese
- Sprinkle some crushed nachos chips
- Microwave it for 5 to 7 minute
- Serve it with chilled sour cream
- If you doesn’t want to use microwave you can arrange it on a non stick pan and heat it on the gas
- For low calorie instead of sour cream you can use hung curd